Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Task Cards and Critical Thinking



So I am reading Guided Math by Laney Sammons and I got an idea. I know I am always thinking about how to really get my kids critical thinking, especially in math. While reading it the book was discussing Problems of the Day and Problems of the Week. So I took that idea and created task cards and a projectable called The Answer Is…. The idea behind these projects is students are given an answer and they have to create the problem. I know a lot of students feel like there is only one way to get to an answer; I want my students to know that they can come to an answer in many different ways. 

Example- The answer is 2, what is the question? Question- I bought 5 apples at the store. I gave 1 apple to my 3 friends. How many apples do I have left? Answer is 2. Question- I have 1 piece of candy. My grandmother gave me another piece. How many pieces do I have now? Answer is 2. 

There are two different questions that get the same answer. I think providing time for these as morning work or as the start to a math class will give students the chance to really work with math and to critically think and discuss math. I hope you will purchases this product and it will be helpful in getting your students to critically think about math. Here are the links to the products! 



~*~ Lena~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment